Sunday, November 9, 2008

Who I told first and how

I decided to just change the name of this blog instead of starting a new pregnancy blog. I just rearranged the words from Is conceiving conceivable? to Conceiving IS conceivable!

Now that I have more time I will start with the stories of who and how I told about my long awaited pregnancy. I had planned to tell my husband in a really clever, unique way but I was WAAAY too excited! I took the test at 6am. After my negative test the day before, I really had no hope of it being positive. Even though I didnt think it was positive, I still had my eyes on the test the whole time it was thinking. I pretended to do other things, but really I couldnt quit looking at the test. I kept making deals with myself..."I am not going to look at the test until I am done brushing my hair" but really my eyes kept darting over to the test. That one little thing had the potential to change my life forever, or seal my depression for the next month. I put so much faith into that one little test stick. Finally, even though I didnt keep up my end of the deal and kept looking at the test, it gave me the best news ever! In middle of half-heartedly brushing my hair, while my eyes were glued to the test it went from flashing a clock indicating that I had to wait because it was still thinking about it, the word PREGNANT showed on the digital screen, clear as can be. The emotions that rushed through me brought immediate tears to my eyes. I was excited, shocked, and couldn't believe my wait was over. I finally got my wish. I am finally going to be a Mommy. I was so excited my first instinct told me to run into the bedroom to share the greatest news with my husband. My hand only hesitated on the doorhandle for a moment. In my head I was thinking that I wanted to tell him in a really cool way. And if I couldn't think of something really cool I wanted to wrap the positive test and tell him I had a surprise for him. That is the whole reason I wanted to get the digital test, so he would know as soon as he saw it, so I wouldn't have to explain to him what the lines or plus sign means.

Like I said, I only hesitated for a moment before dismissing the whole idea of doing something clever to tell him the news. I was too excited, I couldn't hold it in even long enough to wrap the little present. Instead, I ran into the bedroom, threw on the light and woke him. I knelt by the bed, with tears in my eyes, holding the test stick in front of him with the word clearly visible: PREGNANT. John kind of squinted at it for a minute, still letting his eyes adjust to the sudden burst of light, and asked "What does that mean?" I wasn't sure if he was still sleeping, couldn't see the readout on the screen of the test, or really didn't realize that all the charting, timed intercourse, and testing would eventually result in a pregnancy. In the end he said he couldnt see what it said because I wasn't tilting it so he could see the word.

I wanted to call everyone I know to tell them the news. Sadly, it was only about 6:10am by this time and most of who I know wouldn't even be thinking of getting up yet. So I had to wait. Soon after the initial excitement, we had to get ready to go vote for our new president. I am so happy that my baby will be born with Barack Obama leading the country. I am happy my baby will be born in a nation that is breaking down stereotypes, prejudices, and narrow mindedness.

We voted on the way to the airport. I was flying to Dallas for work and would be gone almost a week. It was disappointing to have to leave my husband right after finding out. But I survived the week and now home happily enjoying the excitement with my husband.
_____________________

The other person that I was really excited to tell was my Mom. My Mom and I are very close as I stated here. I had a little more time to think of something creative to tell her. I have been making Christmas cards and she wanted to see some so I told her I would send her some (she lives about 3 hours away from me).

First, I have to give a bit of background. When she was in her 20's she was married to an older man who had grandkids. So, through marriage she had grandkids but was too young to be called Grandma. Her name is Kym so they called her Kimma. Now, my brother has a child (her grandson) that started calling her Mommymae when he was little.

Ok, back to the story of how I told my Mom. I sent her one of the Christmas cards I made and on the inside I wrote:

You've been a Kimma,
You've been a Mommymae,
Will you be my Grandma?
-From your new Grandchild
Estimated arrival date 7/14/09

The only problem with mailing her something is that I had to wait a couple days before telling her! It was the longest two days of my life!! I tried ignoring her calls or keeping them short saying I was busy. I did tell her that I finally sent the cards she wanted to see and that there was something else in it that is really important. On the day she was supposed to get it in the mail I was talking to her on her way home from work. I told her to go right in the house and get the card I sent. She said she had to feed the animals and do a couple other things before getting dark. I assured her that it was really important and she had to go in right away. It was driving me nuts to not tell her, I didnt want to wait even an extra half hour. She called me back a couple minutes later and squeaked at me. She couldn't talk because she was crying and shocked and amazed. She said it never even crossed her mind that that was the surprise. I am so proud of myself for not caving and telling her before getting the card. She will probably keep that card forever!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such amazing news!!!! You must be so happy. I'm grateful for the CB digital because seeing that word, for the first time is wonderful.
I love how you told your mom too! I was far less inventive.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

DH and I always assume that we will keep things secret for a reasonably long period of time, but with each of our short-lived pregnancies, we each ended up telling several people without clearing it with the other one. It is just too big a secret to hold in!

Congrats and best wishes!!!